The Technology Development group at Life Edit discovers new genome editing systems and establishes new editing capabilities and optimizes them to support efforts developing curative gene editing therapies and gene edited cell therapies. We are looking for an enthusiastic, competent, and self-motivated Scientist with a strong background in protein engineering and genome editing to join our team and make significant contributions that support our external partnership programs.
Here’s What You’ll Do:
- Design, implement and troubleshoot experiments to improve Life Edit gene editing systems for a variety of therapeutic indications.
- Implement high throughput engineering, directed evolution and screening assays to discover variants of gene editing systems with improved characteristics.
- Provide protein engineering knowledge and guidance as part of a multidisciplinary team to advance therapeutic programs.
- Analyze experimental data and communicate scientific results at team research meetings.
- Follow protein engineering and gene editing advancements in the literature.
- Contribute to publications and patent filing.
- A background in Biology, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Chemistry or a related field
- Ph.D with 3-5+ years of post-graduate school.
- Demonstrated ability to develop screening or selection assays in bacterial or mammalian cells.
- Experience with high throughput screening and selection methods such as FACS technology.
- Research experience with genome editing technologies, nucleases, and/or DNA modified, or DNA binding proteins is strongly preferred.
- Experience with artificial intelligence and/or machine learning methods for protein engineering is preferred
- Experience with molecular biology, specifically library generation.
- Scientific background in biochemistry, strong understanding of protein structure and function.
- Demonstrated ability to develop assays to demonstrate protein (preferably enzyme) activity.
- Relevant technical skills for data analysis, DNA and protein sequence analysis, ELN documentation, and presenting results.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate in a team-oriented environment.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Preferred experience with and conceptual understanding of NGS techniques.
- We’re committed to finding the best ways to support our teams so they can do their best work. We take care of our employees, right from the start.
Health & Wellness
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance covered at 90%
- Low deductible, no co-insurance and no copays for mental health visits (for in-network care)
- Annual fitness reimbursement
- Employer paid for access to wellness apps and programs like Task Human
- Competitive compensation
- 401(k) retirement plans with a 4% employer match and no vesting period
- Employer-paid life insurance and short- and long-term disability insurance
- Employer-sponsored flexible spending accounts (FSA) and dependent care account (DCA)
- Access to a 1-on-1 financial advisor
- Commuter reimbursement benefit
- Monthly cell phone stipend
Time Off & Flexibility
- Unlimited paid time off, including vacation, sick leave, family leave, personal days, and bereavement
- 18 paid company holidays, plus an end-of-year holiday shut down
- 12 weeks of parental leave
- Federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and Massachusetts Paid Family and Medical Leave (PFML), administered by Unum
- Insights Discovery training for every employee to make the most of workplace relationships
- Ongoing professional development, including manager training
- Access to LinkedIn Learning, a self-guided online education platform
Why join Life Edit and the ElevateBio ecosystem?
Life Edit Therapeutics is an integrated subsidiary of ElevateBio, a technology-driven cell and gene therapy company that is accelerating access to the cutting-edge technologies and expertise that can change the future of medicine. Our integrated model combines multiple R&D technology platforms – including Life Edit gene editing – and cGMP manufacturing to power the discovery and development of advanced therapeutics.Our ecosystem is designed to enhance speed, delivery, and probability of success to change patient lives.
Life Edit is an integral part of ElevateBio’s ecosystem of platform technologies and is pioneering focused next-generation gene editing technologies and therapeutics. Located in Durham, NC, members of Life Edit work closely with the ElevateBio Research and Development and BaseCamp manufacturing teams in Waltham, MA. Life Edit is advancing therapeutic programs in collaboration with industry partners while building its own internal pipeline of gene editing therapies. We are looking for a unique individual who can continue to lead the cultural development of Life Edit and build on its momentum as an integral part of the ElevateBio ecosystem.
To power the creation of life-transforming cell and gene therapies, at a speed the world deserves.
We seek to be the world’s most indispensable cell and gene therapy technology company, redefining how companies operate, how products are created and how disease is treated.
ElevateBio is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. ElevateBio will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.